Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Carl Zimmer on a career among the Galapagos finches

grants220.jpgAbout two months ago I was fortunate enough to attend Rosemary Grant's plenary lecture at the 2008 meeting of the American Ornithologists' Union. It was one of the most deeply impressive lectures I've heard in the 20 years that I've been attending scientific conferences. I've known Peter and Rosemary Grant for 10 years now, and consider myself extremely fortunate in being able to claim a personal connection with such greatness: they are my academic grandparents! If you've taken my classes (any of them!), you've probably heard me talk about them at some point. What I meant to do, but haven't had the time to do, is write more about Rosemary's wonderful talk here. Well, at this point in the semester, the prospects of finding time for something like that is slipping farther away. Fortunately, however, Carl Zimmer (who is way better with the written word / blog than me), happened to attend a joint lecture by them yesterday, and gives us an excellent account on his new blog at Discover. An absolute must read for the week!


Thanks, Carl!



0 comments:

ShareThis

Darwin's tweets

Recent ScienceBlogs Posts on Peer-reviewed Papers

Current Readers

counter

  © Blogger template Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP